It's Not Epoxy, It's SpartaFlex!
We get asked lots of questions about SpartaFlex, such as “if SpartaFlex looks just like Epoxy, but it isn’t Epoxy, then what is it?”
SpartaFlex, made by HP Spartacote, is a polyaspartic floor coating. Polyaspartic coatings were invented about 2 decades ago by a Germany chemical company named “Bayer” (the same company that makes the aspirin). Technically, polyaspartics are a type of polymer called “polyurea aliphatics”. Polyureas are two-part systems, meaning that they require a resin to be mixed with a catalyst to create the curing reaction that hardens and cures the material. Polyurea is what makes SpartaFlex so highly durable.
Although polyaspartics have been available for many years, their use as commercial metal and floor coatings have been relatively recent. In fact, Perkins Custom Coatings was one of the first companies to offer polyaspartic coatings in Southern California.
Polyaspartics exhibit the following characteristics:
Rapid curing with a pot life that varies between 20 to 60 minutes (this is why the SpartaFlex installations can be completed in one day)
- High abrasion resistance (anywhere from 3-5x as abrasion resistant as Epoxy!)
- Can be applied at surface temperatures from 0º F to 120º F (Epoxy can’t be installed if the temperature is less than about 50º F)
- Very low viscosity (almost like water—that is why it forms such a strong bond to concrete)
- UV Stable (Epoxy will yellow in the sun. SpartaFlex will never yellow in the sun)
- Made with very high solids content (which allows SpartaFlex to be a “green” product—made without volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that pollute the air)
- Resistant to hot tire pick up and most all stains and chemicals (acid
and methyl ethyl ketone (MEK)
are the only known “kryptonite” for SpartaFlex. It is highly resistant to all other stains and chemicals)
Best of all, the polyaspartic coating that we sell, SpartaFlex, is manufactured by HP Spartacote—the company that currently owns the patent to the polyaspartic chemical manufacturing process and can only be installed by factory trained and certified installers. You can be sure you are getting the highest quality polyaspartic coating available in the marketplace today.